Saturday, December 29, 2012

Finding Jesus


Have you ever had a time when you are so mad at someone you could see red. They did something so stupid you don't understand how they could have possibly did it without realizing they were an idiot. Like when your brother brings up your ex boyfriend the first time he meets the new boyfriend, or your friend takes your car, hits a deer and then leaves it in the driveway for you. This is how I picture Mary and Joseph looking at Jesus when they finally find him and hear his explanation for why he was not in the caravan.

Jesus is 12. At the age of 12 many young men would be apprenticing, they would be treated not as children but young adults. They would have responsibilities and obligations. The family had traveled many miles together for the passover celebration and it would have been expected that Jesus would help get things packed up and join with everyone else to go back. He would know it is time to go home.

At the end of the first day of the journey he was no where to be found. I can see Mary and Joseph and their family searching frantically for him. Where did he go? How could they have lost him? God asked me to raise his son and now we have gone and lost him!? If I was them I would also be thinking about what kind of punishment I was going to give him when I got my hands on him. Then the frenzy turns into three days of searching and going back to the temple. As a mother, by that third day there would be no thought of punishment just gratefulness that I found him and that he was okay. Then, I probably would be angry with his peevish response, “Why were you searching for me? Did you not know that I must be in my Father's house?” This was most likely also insulting to Joseph who was representing his earthly father and had adopted him as fully as any father of the time could have.

I truly tried to put myself in Mary's shoes. Would I be so grateful to find him in one piece and safe that I would not mind his response, or would I be angry because he had made me worry so. Would I think that Jesus knew what he needed to do and where he should have been and he didn't even have the courtesy to tell me what he was doing? Would I have seen red because of his blatant disregard for what I wanted or would I have been grateful for him being okay? Or perhaps both.

Isn't this like our relationships with Jesus now. We go along on our way thinking Jesus is with us and then when we can't find him we get upset, sometimes we get down right mad at Jesus. Sometimes we expect Jesus to be in something and we can't see him. We can't see how it is going to work out, what is going on, where we are going or what we are supposed to be doing. WE feel lost and worried and alone. Yet Jesus is right where Jesus needs to be doing right what Jesus needs to be doing – just like at the temple. When we finally figure out a piece of the puzzle and look back and see where Jesus was and what he was doing are we mad or grateful? Are we still angry that our plan didn't work out? That our little journey home was four times as long and took a huge detour? Are we grateful for that? Or do we get so caught up in our plan that we don't take time to be grateful for the detour and all that we learned on it.

The Colossians passage that we read at the beginning of service (Colossians 3:12-17) tells us in v. 17 that “whatever you do, in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.” We don't know where Jesus is in our lives all the time. That is just how it is. Mary and Joseph didn't either. If they didn't and they were his earthly parents then why should we be any different? We are promised that he he is our Emmanuel – God with us. We know that he walks beside us and never leaves us. From Jeremiah 29:11 we hear from God “For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “Plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope an a future.” With all of that when we can't know what God is doing, when we don't understand or are left looking and wondering as Mary and Joseph were, we are called by Colossians to remember to do everything in the name of the Lord and give thanks for everything. We are called to find things to be grateful for and to keep Jesus at the center of our lives even when we are wondering around feeling lost. We are never truly lost from Jesus, we may just now understand what he is doing. Just like Mary and Joseph we just may not “get it” until later on when we can see the big picture and Jesus is in front of us. Perhaps during this Christmas season and throughout the entire New Year that is exactly what we are called to do – be grateful and do everything in Jesus' name – even when we can't seem to see what Jesus is doing in our lives and we can't find any answers.

No comments:

Post a Comment