Sunday, March 25, 2012

Seeds - sermon for March 25, 2012


I have been working on this for days now, and then a new realization came and I threw out the old versions.  That is the way it is with God.  You have to be willing to throw out, throw away or part with things of this world – even if it is just your own ideas or ideals in order to watch something new and awesome grow.  Jesus gives us the analogy of the wheat to show us this.  The wheat grows and produces fruit, but and only when it is buried, died and is gone from this world.  We are each one piece of that fruit and when we are willing to let go of our own selfishness.  We can only share what God has given us, our own kernel of wheat, when we can let go of our egos so that we can get out of our own way.  Then and only then can we can watch God’s love grow in amazing ways.

Originally the entire body of this sermon was about making hard choices.  It seems like I have been seeing them lately combined with a need for patience in my own life and in other people’s lives as well.  I realized yesterday though that hard choices aren’t the only thing this passage is talking about.  Yes, sometimes we have hard choices just as Jesus did.  He tells us that he could ask to be relieved of his duty to die on the cross.  He could ask for it to go away and it would, but he is choosing to go forward for the glory of God.  We have choices like this – things we know are going to be hard, but we go forward because we know God is leading us in it.  Sometimes we just have so many things on our plates and we don’t know what choice to make – that is another type of hard choice.  But if we let Jesus be our guide and ask his help we can do it. We can do all things for the glory of God. 

Yesterday I had a meeting regarding conference in the morning and then we could choose to stay and volunteer in Middleburgh’s flood recovery area.  I had not had very much family time with my entire family lately.  I have a ton of homework to do – and of course an assignment was “tweaked” after I had my reading day so now the pile is growing.  I know volunteering is a good thing, but I had these other equally good things to do that would also be good and for God.  This was a hard choice.  I knew what I should do, but I really wanted to get some of that work done and squeeze in family time.   Finally I decided if no one needed my help at either of the two major sites I could just go home.  I decided to let God lead me.  The first did not and I have to tell you I was relieved.  I thought I was getting out of the hard choice here and I would only have to go home to make a hard choice there – family time or homework. When I got to the second site, I realized they needed me.  I spent a very interesting afternoon yanking wires out of a previously flooded home.  My arms ache, I was filthy, and tired, but I know without a doubt that I had the privilege of experiencing one of those moments  - one of those moments when I buried a seed and didn’t get to do what I thought I wanted to do in order to what God wanted me to do.

I met a woman whose husband has back problems.  She owns a business and a home that were flooded.  Her home was a small home that they had just completely gutted and redone 8 years ago.  She was quiet and did not say a lot of her experience – I think she may already have done that.  She did chuckle a few times at our corny jokes and banter and she did share snippets of her experience.  Her gratefulness for church people, how many meals she ate at the Methodists, and Catholic meal sites, difficulty with insurance companies, losses of pictures, and Christmas decorations.  At the end of the day, I asked if I could pray with her.  We did and I experienced God.  I received a hug that had hope and gratefulness combined better than words ever could. I know that I did not do much. I will not be back next weekend as we have life plans as usual, but that in that moment I did what God wanted me to do to help her.  I also know I will be back to the volunteer site again, and we truly helped her and gave her a little more hope to keep going. 

We have to be willing to give up our egos, our wants, our selves sometimes in order to truly follow God.  It isn’t a onetime deal. It isn’t a checklist that you can complete; it is something that you have to work at. It is something you have to be in conversation with God about.  It is a daily choice on how to live.
That is what Jesus is calling us to.  Make a choice. Decide how you are going to live.  Are you going to take your grain of wheat and hold it close?  Bury it with you, or are you going to allow it out of your control.  To go into the ground and be planted so that it can produce 30, 60, or even a 100 more grains? 

It is time for us to stop putting ourselves on the top of the to-do list and start letting God control the to-do list.  How are you going to do that today?  How are you going to do it this week?  Do you need to focus on connecting with God, praying, meditating?  Do you need to focus on doing one unselfish act a week?  Could practice some pray time and allow God to speak quietly to your heart? Will you listen?

No comments:

Post a Comment